Hurricane Season – Storm Preparation
Hurricane season is approaching here in Florida, are you and your family prepared for the potential storms that may come? Hurricane Season goes from the beginning of June all the way through November. Florida has a history of hurricanes, especially on the coasts. The last major hurricane to hit Florida was Hurricane Michael in October 2018, it was a Category 5 level hurricane.
Making sure your home is best prepared for a hurricane is imperative, so that you are safe from impending dangers.
- This could include ensuring your roof, doors, and windows are equipped enough to withstand high speed winds and heavy rain.
- Having enough nonperishable food like nuts, cereal, peanut butter, canned foods, and granola bars at hand just in case you are unable to use appliances throughout the storm.
- Water supply is something that can be compromised during a storm. Having enough bottled water at your disposal to last through the storm could be crucial.
- In case of any injuries that could occur during the hurricane it is best to have a First-Aid Kit available.
- If you have the ability to evacuate or go to a storm shelter before a hurricane arrives, you should. But if you are not able to evacuate, find a safe room in your living area to be able to hunker down for an extended period of time. It is best to have a room with no windows, but if there is not a windowless room try to board up the windows in the room.
- While being in shelter it is best to have a radio to be able to listen to local news for updates on the status on the weather in the event that you are not able to use your phone.